About Me

My photo
Welcome to the new Campervan Chef blog! This started out life as a blog called 'Kylie's Kitchen' and ran out of steam some time ago. Since then life has changed and Kylie's Kitchen as it stood is no more. I started out as an an enthusiastic home cook but now work as a chef and cook for others in all sorts of situations. You'll find out more about this side of me if you keep tabs on my scribbles on here. I blog about food and cooking, life, family, friends and pets. I will also be keeping you up to date with our travels to our second home; the beautiful Greek island of Skiathos and the dog shelter we support there. Join us as our journey through life continues...

Tuesday 19 January 2016

Spicy beans with chorizo

Tuesday is Woo's late night at work and we tend to have something quick and easy to eat as it's after 8.30pm when we finally get settled  A jacket potato with beans and cheese is usually our supper of choice.  I had some time spare late afternoon so decided to do a home made baked bean dish instead.  Also, whilst I was ordering the meat for the Day Centre lunches in Haywards I decided to go for a couple of lovely chicken legs to go with it.

In a large pan I softened a finely sliced red onion in a little butter and olive oil.  To this I added a couple of finely chopped garlic cloves and a tablespoonful of tomato puree.  In then went a couple of scotch bonnet peppers (halved), about 100g of quartered button chestnut mushrooms and a good seasoning of sea salt and black pepper.  Left over from our Christmas tapas was a pack of cooking chorizo languishing in the fridge.  This was sliced and added to the mix.

All stirred together and cooked out for a while and then in went half a glass of red wine and 800g of chopped tomatoes and the same amount of water.  The sauce was brought to the boil and then simmered for a good 90 minutes until it started to thicken.

The chicken legs went into the oven.  All I did to them was season well with sea salt and black pepper and a liberal sprinkle of smoked paprika to complement the chorizo in the baked beans.

Whilst the chicken legs were roasting I added a tin each of borlotti, black eyed and cannellini beans to the sauce and let it all cook out.  This took about as long as I took to pick Woo up so it was all more or less ready by the time we got in.

A handful of coriander went in for the final two minutes of cooking and then served.

#simples #yummy #cheap #easy

Plenty left over for Woo to take to work tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment