About Me

My photo
Welcome to the new Campervan Chef blog! This started out life as a blog called 'Kylie's Kitchen' and ran out of steam some time ago. Since then life has changed and Kylie's Kitchen as it stood is no more. I started out as an an enthusiastic home cook but now work as a chef and cook for others in all sorts of situations. You'll find out more about this side of me if you keep tabs on my scribbles on here. I blog about food and cooking, life, family, friends and pets. I will also be keeping you up to date with our travels to our second home; the beautiful Greek island of Skiathos and the dog shelter we support there. Join us as our journey through life continues...

Wednesday 19 December 2012

Moroccan chicken

We had a couple of poussin which were on offer last week and decided to have them again this evening as the offer was still on when we did some shopping after I picked The Woo up from work.  Sam's in as well so I decided to try something a little different.

I made a dry rub using a couple of teaspoons each of ground cumin and ground coriander.  To this I added about a teaspoon of dried chilli flakes, a sprinkle of cinnamon and a good pinch of sea salt.  This was all mixed together and sprinkled over the poussin which had been placed in a roasting dish on a bed of sliced onions.  The poussin had a slice of lemon and a clove of garlic inserted into the neck cavity and a couple more heads (of garlic not chicken!) were chopped in half and also added to the dish.

Writing this whilst waiting for The Woo to get back from her dad's with some white wine to liberally glug into the dish to get the gravy started!

The ritual glugging should signal the arrival of Yardarm Time at QFK!

The Woo's here with the vino now so I poured half a bottle into the roasting dish and slathered the poussin with runny honey.  This is going into a 180* oven for about 45 minutes and then I'll take them out to rest while the potatoes finish off.

See you in a bit!
Oh, and yes I know there are four of them.  One for me, one for The Woo, one for Sam and one for milady to take to work with her tomorrow!



6PM UPDATE!

The poussin are out of the oven and resting.  The roasties are nearly there and The Woo's going to be sorting the gravy while her biscuits cook.  For the gravy it's a scrummy mixture of the chicken cooking juices with a bit more white wine all reduced down and mixed with some freshly chopped tomatoes, garlic and chilli which I softened up while the meat was in the oven.  She's going to bung in a little cream just prior to serving.

We're having all this with some lovely oily crushed peas.

Busy here at QFK this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment